Winning in court is a great feeling, but it does not guarantee that you actually get the money. Maybe the Judge ordered your spouse to pay the child support, but your deadbeat spouse is not paying. That is frustrating. Maybe you are due alimony that is not coming in, or won a car that keeps sitting in your spouse’s garage. Court Order might give you all sorts of goodies, but, shockingly, Court Order is not always enough. What do you do if your ex is defying a Court Order?

Fortunately, the courts do not leave you without resources. A motion for contempt can force the spouse to pay up, and even to refund the fees you spent on your lawyer. Of course, that is only the best case scenario. As is always the case when it comes to the law and the courts, there are more layers and twist than in a pound of onions.

Talk to a friendly divorce practitioner to throw some light on your particular situation, and do not forget to turn to the “Divorce Books” featured on this site.

For more reading about contempt, turn to the UNC School of Government. For the Clerk’s powers of contempt, see this super-nifty chart prepared by Meredith Smith of the School of Government.

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 12.50.49 PM

New Regulations Regarding Contempt in IV-D Child Support Cases